Shackleton, Dulwich College and Antarctica

I grew up with the extraordinary exploits of Shackleton being brought to my attention every day, whilst I was at Dulwich College. Shackleton, being one of the most famous Old Alleynians, was always talked about in reverential terms by the masters who taught me from the age of nine.

During my time at Dulwich, Shackleton's boat the James Caird was in its display shelter at the school. There was also a marvellous painting, in the Lower Hall, of the James Caird crossing a very stormy Southern Ocean on its way to South Georgia. Both brought home to us all what an important part of the school Shackleton was.

The James Caird on display in the North Cloisters of Dulwich College.


I had always wanted to go to Antarctica so, when I saw the Silversea cruise 'In the Footsteps of Shackleton', which, in addition to visiting Antarctica, retraced the journey Shackleton had made from Elephant Island to South Georgia, I simply had to do it.

This therefore is the blog of our wonderful journey in November 2008 to Tierra del Fuego, the Falkland Islands, South Georgia, Elephant Island, the Antarctic Peninsular and the Drake Passage across the Southern Ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment